Exhibits, Shows, Concerts, Rides and More at the San Diego County Fair
“Amusement to an observing mind is study.” -Benjamin Disaeli
The San Diego County Fair has officially begun and this year the theme is “Mad About the Fair.” There are Alice in Wonderland decorations everywhere, and fun to be had almost every single day for the next month. Make sure to park at the Del Mar Horse Park and ride the double decker bus over to the entrance. Our family does it every year and parking in this area is so much easier! Here are the top 9 things you should do at the San Diego County Fair this year:
1. Visit the Alice in Wonderland exhibit. Between celebrating your “Unbirthday” (the 364 days a year that it is NOT your birthday) and learning tea party basics, the Alice in Wonderland exhibit is one you should not miss this year. A full calendar of this exhibit’s events is located here and you don’t want to miss the moving house of cards or the live Alice in Wonderland photo op!
2. Taste some of the city’s finest wine. On Saturday, June 11th, be sure not to miss the Toast of the Coast Wine Festival, where there will be over 100 award-winning wines to taste.
3. Participate in Star Wars Steampunk Universe Day. On Sunday, June 12th, Star Wars and Steampunk are teaming up to bring you a day full of fun. A panel of guests will be showing off their “Steamppunked” Star Wars costumes and talking about how they crafted these outfits from other materials.
4. Eat all of the food you can see. From chocolate and beer pairings, educational samplings and happy hour four days a week, to deep fried Oreos, grilled turkey legs and corn on the cob, the fair food is to die for. Eat all of it that you can see while you’re there, and have no regrets.
5. Check out the California Grown exhibit. This year there is an entire exhibit dedicated to San Diego’s agricultural roots. Learn about farming machines, pet some California Grown farm animals, and eat a bug! How fun!!
6. Visit the animals. The signature staple of every fair. There are cow milking demonstrations and animals of every shape and size to see. Always visit the animals at the fair.
7. Watch an After Six Magic Show. These After Six Magic Shows will feature “a variety of Sourthern California’s finest magicians.” The shows will take place every day around 6:00pm on the San Diego Showcase Stage. (You can also have your child attend “Abra-Kid-Abra Magic Camp” on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays!)
8. See a Toyota Summer Concert Series show. Every artist in the lineup is pretty awesome this year! Pick your favorites, and make sure to purchase tickets online ahead of time so they are not sold out when you get there!
9. Ride rides, even if you’re an adult! It’s the fair, you have to ride rides! (Kids can get wristbands and save money!) Make sure you wear sneakers if you want to go on the crazy rides, but even if it just the ferris wheel, make sure to include at least one ride in your fair trip. It is always worth the wonderful memories.
Overall, the 2016 San Diego County Fair is an amazing event that everyone should attend, even if it’s just for one day! Have you gone this year already? What was your favorite attraction? We would love to hear from you!