Exhibits, Shows, Concerts, Rides and More at the San Diego County Fair
“Amusement to an observing mind is study.” -Benjamin Disaeli
The San Diego County Fair officially begins June 2nd and this year the theme is “Mad About the Fair.” There will be decorations everywhere, and fun to be had almost every single day for the whole month it is open. Make sure to park at the Del Mar Horse Park and ride the double decker bus over to the entrance. Our family does it every year and parking in this area is so much easier! Here are the top 9 things you should do at the San Diego County Fair this year:
1. Challenge your kids to a pie eating contest. Between the deep friend twinkles and the giant turkey legs, the fair has some of the most delicious food around. Take full advantage of this and make sure to come hungry! Your kids will love celebrating their win over you when it comes to pie eating (unless you really love pie, then they might be mad their parent beat them!) and you will most likely enjoy yourself more than you know!
2. Taste some of the city’s finest wine. On Saturday, June 10th, be sure not to miss the Toast of the Coast Wine Festival, where there will be over 100 award-winning wines to taste.
3. Participate in a competitive exhibit. Whether it is food or art or photography or fashion, there is a contest for anyone and everyone! Check out this contest page to see all of the details and enter, pretty soon!
4. Eat all of the food you can see. From chocolate and beer pairings, educational samplings and happy hour four days a week, to deep fried Oreos, grilled turkey legs and corn on the cob, the fair food is to die for. Eat all of it that you can see while you’re there, and have no regrets.
5. Check out the performance opportunities. This year there are several ways to perform at the fair if you are interested. This page explains all of the different contests and how you can enter! How fun!!
6. Visit the animals. The signature staple of every fair. There are cow milking demonstrations and animals of every shape and size to see. Always visit the animals at the fair.
7. See a Toyota Summer Concert Series show. Every artist in the lineup is pretty awesome this year! Pick your favorites, and make sure to purchase tickets online ahead of time so they are not sold out when you get there!
8. Ride rides, even if you’re an adult! It’s the fair, you have to ride rides! (Kids can get wristbands and save money!) Make sure you wear sneakers if you want to go on the crazy rides, but even if it just the ferris wheel, make sure to include at least one ride in your fair trip. It is always worth the wonderful memories.
9. Buy season tickets so you can visit again and again! The fair has great discounts on tickets for the whole month fair season. Check out this page to see all of the options for tickets and buy your game passes ahead of time to save time waiting in line!
Overall, the 2017 San Diego County Fair is an amazing event that everyone should attend, even if it’s just for one day! Have you gone in past years? What was your favorite attraction? We would love to hear from you!